Developed by: The
Preceptor Guide Task Force and Wanda Mayo, MSN, BSN, RN, CCM (Chair)
Preceptors are experienced nurses who have made a commitment to facilitate the onboarding of new employees.
Each preceptor provides a link for the student, orientee, or experienced staff member to your organization,
its policies and procedures, standards of care, and to patients.
Ambulatory care nursing encompasses all patient care settings outside of an inpatient environment.
To create an effective learning experience using the right educational tools, ambulatory care nursing preceptors
must have a clear understanding of the clinical, legal, and organizational environment in which they function
to deliver the right outcomes for your facility.
You’ll find this Preceptor Guide for Ambulatory Care Nursing invaluable in developing a preceptor program
in a wide variety of ambulatory care settings.
Value to Your Practice:
- Increases your knowledge of the precepting process with clear descriptions and definitions.
- Helps you fully understand the role of the preceptor in ambulatory care.
- Clarifies how your organization can support both preceptors and learners.
- Provides information and tools you need to achieve a rewarding and effective program.
Who Should Purchase:
- Administrators and managers seeking to develop a preceptor program at their facility.
- Ambulatory care nurses taking on a preceptor role.
- New staff nurses who will be involved as a learner in a preceptor program.
o Chapter 1 – The Art of Precepting: An Overview of the Precepting Process
- The Preceptor in the Ambulatory Care Setting
- Seven chapters covering all aspects of a preceptor program:
o Chapter 2 – Orienting the New Staff Member
o Chapter 3 – The Role of the Preceptor
o Chapter 4 – Preceptor Competencies
o Chapter 5 – Role of the Nurse Educator in the Preceptor Program
o Chapter 6 – Developing the Preceptor Program Curriculum
o Chapter 7 – Telehealth Nursing Practice
o Standards of Professional Clinical Practice (6 standards)
See Table of Contents and sample pages