Mentoring the Stars: A Program for Volunteer Board Leaders
By Cynthia Nowicki Hnatiuk, EdD, RN, CAE, FAAN
Members of associations dedicate countless volunteer hours working on committees and task forces to advance their associations and the professions they represent. When they are elected to serve on an executive board, however, they may be unsure of what to expect in this new leadership position.
This is where Mentoring the Stars: A Program for Volunteer Board Leaders comes in. Now in its second edition, Mentoring the Stars has proven success in helping new board members acclimate to their new roles and feel more fulfilled as board members.
They will attain the skills and competencies to function effectively on their association's leadership team. By combining a unique, self-study learning approach and a mentoring relationship with an experienced board member, new board members can excel.
Mentoring the Stars provides:
• 10 board responsibilities
• 11 board member competencies
• Tables, figures, and tool kits on mentoring, leadership, decision making, teamwork, strategic planning, and more
• Learning assessments for each chapter
• For new board members: Assess skills and knowledge, establish mentoring relationships with experienced board members, and become effective members of the leadership team.
• For experienced board members: Refresh knowledge and help new board members transition to their new roles.
Table of Contents
• Foreword by Glenn Tecker
• Tips for Associations
• Chapter 1 - Mentoring: A Guide for the Mentor and Mentee
• Chapter 2 - Board Roles and Responsibilities
• Chapter 3 - Governance and Leadership
• Chapter 4 - Decision Making
• Chapter 5 - Teamwork and the Board-Staff Partnership
Section 1: Team Concepts
Section 2: The Leadership Team
• Chapter 6 - Strategic Thinking and Planning
• Chapter 7 - Budget and Financial Management
• Chapter 8 - Effective Meetings
• References and Suggested Readings